At Peninsula Print we are keen supporters of Race for Carers Balloon Race, aimed specifically at raising the precious funding needed to continue supporting the estimated 9000 people that act as voluntary carers for babies, children and adults with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus.
To pay for your balloon now please visit; www.shinecharity.org.uk/BuyABalloon
The carers include parents, grandparents, family members and dedicated friends. Many are on duty round the clock meeting the needs of the severely disabled person in their care. This can sometimes be something of a harrowing experience as some children with hydrocephalus can be very disruptive, which can be upsetting for the carer.
28% of our carers work to supplement the family income, 17% are of retirement age and 38% also care for an elderly relative or second disabled member of the family.
Caring for a disabled person can be demanding, exhausting and lonely.
Your kind help will enable us to:
- Offer immediate help and advice through our trained nurses and staff
- Produce literature which provides answers to the most commonly asked questions by our carers
- Provide support via e-mail, telephone and in person to carers who are at a loss as to how to support the person in their care or simply need to speak to someone to relieve the stress.
- Organise events that bring carers together to share their experiences and enjoy some company and fun.
- Advise carers on ways in which they can gain some respite.
Shine celebrates the lives of people with spina bifida and hydrocephalus and promotes examples of achievement and success, acknowledging the role that carers play in this.